Featured Post

About Me and My Blog

Hello, my name is Juliet Marvelli. I am in high school, and I want to be a movie critic when I get older, so I figured I would get a head st...

Saturday, August 6, 2016

The Shawshank Redemption

I was badgered for over a year to watch this movie. “Not until I read the story” was always my reply. Being a book snob and an avid Stephen King fan, I find it necessary to read the book before watching the movie, especially when it’s from the master of horror. Of course, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is neither horror nor a book, it being a short story from the collection Different Seasons. After finally getting the collection as a Christmas present, all I had to do was find the time to read the story. Luckily, this past winter was cold with heavy storms. So, one day when the snow was 30 inches and the heat was turned up high, I got under a blanket and read Shawshank in one sitting. This review isn’t about the book, so I’ll spare those details, but after collecting myself from crying, I had very high expectations for the movie, being told it was even better than the story. The next day, still snowed in, I grabbed the popcorn and popped in the DVD. 2 hours and 22 minutes later, I was a changed person. I felt better about myself and about the world around me. A story as touching as the one of Red and Andy Dufresne could not have been told more beautifully than by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. From the moment a confused man sat in his car with a gun to the moment two friends reunite by the Pacific Ocean, I was entranced. I thought that there was no way the movie could be just as good, even better, than the story that had blown me away, but I was wrong. Incredible acting brought together with incredible directing and incredible writing. Now, whenever someone tells me they feel down, I recommend they watch Shawshank. The ones that haven’t seen it roll their eyes, but always thank me afterwards. My favorite response is “wow, that just made my heart so happy.” No doubt, The Shawshank Redemption is my favorite movie of all time. 

1 comment:

  1. Couldnt agree more! One of the best movies of all time!!

    ReplyDelete